Sunday, April 15, 2012

Brakes On.

Fixing the GS

HB and I had planned to go for a nights camping at Glencoe this weekend but we changed our minds at the last minute. I'd have been fine, but HB's sleeping bag would have probably been too cold as the temperature was predicted to get down to minus three.
I still wanted to get out on the GS. Hammy phoned asking if I was up for going for a run, so I got my shit together and went to get the GS out the garage.
I turned the key......


And......




ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK

fuck.

The ZZZZZZZZZZZZ was the fuel pump kicking in, which was good. All normal. But the ticking was the ABS going mental. The ABS warning light was flashing like crazy meaning something was not fucking right. My GS has servo assisted brakes which have been known for developing a fault. A really expensive fault. Nightmare. We noticed that the brake light was continuously on too so a few searches online (www.ukGSer.com www.ADVrider.com) informed me that it could be a faulty brake light switch. If the switch is stuck on the bike thinks the brakes are on and the servo won't activate when the bike is started. With Faithir and Hammy's help I started to try and figure out how the fuck to sort it. We took the tank off and Faithir used his meter to check the switches. The rear was working normally but  there was something up with the front. Hammy and I were in the process of taking the brake apart to check the switch when Faithir noticed a broken wire. It looks like said wire was being stretched by the bars turning, or/and rubbing on the petrol tank, but Faithir soon had it sorted with his soldering iron. Thank fuck.

Fixing the GS
The broken wire.



Fixing the GS
Faithir gets the solder on.

All the time we were fixing the bike the weather was changing from sun to sleet. Thank fuck HB and I never went to Glencoe! Me and Hammy had planned to ride some of the single track roads up the Lammys but had to settle for a spin down the coast road. It was ace to be out on the bike but there was a big bastard black cloud floating over East Lothian which burst shortly after I split from Hammy at his folk's. I ended up riding home in hail stones!

KTM and GS
The bikes and the Bass Rock

Cheers to Faithir and Hammy for helping me fix the GS.

2 comments:

  1. Never a good sound when you go to start the bike and nothing.

    Glad you got it sorted and it sounds like with the weather good thing you didn't go camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well to sort it Mike, My mate on his GS had the same problem by the way but it was a faulty switch. KTM looking good by the way,,,

    ReplyDelete